Voter Information


Voter Registration

In order to vote in Flathead County elections, you must:

  • Be 18 years old or older on or before the next election.
  • Be a citizen of the United States.
  • Have resided in Montana and Flathead County for at least 30 days.
  • Be registered to vote.

You will not be allowed to vote if:

  • You're a convicted felon serving a sentence in a penal institution
  • You've been judged in a court of law to be of unsound mind.

How to Register

Registering to vote in Flathead County is simple and quick.

You may:

  • Visit our office located at 40 11th St W #230 (South Campus Building) weekdays between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • Fill out a Voter Registration Form available on this site or at many local government agencies.
  • Fill out a Voter Registration Form when you apply or renew your Driver's License.

For regular registration, your voter registration form must be postmarked or received by the Election Department at least 30 days before the election.

For late registration (anytime after the close of regular registration, until 12:00 noon the day before Election Day), you must appear in person at the Election Department up to and including election day, fill out a voter registration card, and vote a ballot that you receive from the election office staff.

Absentee Voters

In order to receive an absentee ballot, a voter must apply through the Flathead County Election Department. A voter may request a ballot for just the upcoming current election by completing an Application for Absentee Ballot and receive ballots for all elections during the current calendar year.

Application may be mailed to:

Flathead County Election Department
40 11th Street West, Suite 230
Kalispell, MT 59901

Application must be made by noon the day before the election.

Once the ballot has been voted, be sure to sign the affirmation on the envelope before sending it back or dropping it off.

IMPORTANT: The person to whom the ballot was issued must sign the affirmation on the return envelope.

PLEASE NOTE: You may find all these documents in the downloads section of our department, or the Interactive Services - Documents and Downloads section of the County site.