Processed daily from 8:00 to 4:30
- The Clerk of Court is an essential part of the judiciary and is therefore open for business.
- In an attempt to keep everyone safe all social distancing guidelines will be followed.
- After applications are submitted (see link below), marriage applicants must appear in person to sign the application and pay the $53 fee at which time the Marriage License will be created and available for use at the ceremony.
- Following the ceremony and return of the signed License, certified copies will be created upon request and payment of $7 per copy.
NOTE: To purchase certified copies of an existing license, please see our Forms / Misc Info link.
- All persons applying for Montana marriage license must be in a position to provide proof of age - such as a valid driver's license or birth certificate - and must be single persons. This office does not require copies of dissolution papers, however, since the sworn application regarding your status as a single person is sufficient.
- Prior to your ceremony, couples must appear together at the Clerk of Court to sign the application, which will be printed upon your arrival.
- After signing the application before the Clerk of Court, payment of $53 will be required. Payment of the fee will be required in person and can be cash, check, money order, or credit card (additional $2.31 fee will be applied for credit card payments).
- Parties that are already married by common law may file a Declaration of Marriage
- Certified copies of filed marriage licenses can be purchased in person or, if by mail, please complete a Marriage License Request Form
- If you have any questions, please contact our office at (406)758-5659
Page Last Updated: Apr 6, 2023