Substitute Teaching, Inservice & Home Schooling


Substitute teaching applications accepted for rural schools and Juvenile Detention:

Requires a fingerprint/background check, Tuberculosis test results from Flathead County Health Department or medical facility, and a completed application. Substitutes must be current Montana certified teachers.  Substitute training is available.


Go to

Certificate renewal with renewal units:
Class 2 Certificates-(Bachelor's Level)-60 units required, 40 of them must be from university course work, 20 may be renewal units. (1 semester credit=15 renewal units; 1 quarter credit =10 renewal units)
Class 1 Certificates-(Graduate Degrees)-60 units required, all may be from renewal units.

Renewal applications are available online at

New certificates or reciprocal applications should be directed to:
Office of Public Instruction
PO Box 202501
Helena, MT 59620-2501


Montana Law requires that the County Superintendent's Office is notified annually of intent to home school . The Superintendent requires attendance records at the end of each school year. Notification/Information Packets are available in this office.

A small library is maintained of textbooks and materials that may be checked out.