Roads and Bridges
North Fork Road
The 2014 Dust Cost Share Packets are now available. Please have the applications returned to the Road Department by 4:00 pm on March 21, 2014.
- The implementation of the load limits may be delayed due to the current winter weather conditions. The anticipated warming trend expected next week will bring the spring thaws which create the break up of the roads. Load Limit signs will not be posted until the Road Department determines the conditions are warranted.
Flathead County Road and Bridge Department is a department within the county government that is under the direct control of the Flathead County Board of County Commissioners. The Road and Bridge Department is divided into the following three sub-departments. Included in these paragraphs is a brief overview of the department and its responsibilities.
The geographical range of county roads and bridges is:
- Northern edge: North Fork to Canadian border
- Eastern edge: Essex to Ferndale to Bigfork
- Southern edge: Bigfork to Lakeside to Nirada to Thompson River
- Western edge: Thompson river to Pleasant Valley to Olney
Road Department: Maintenance operations consist of snow plowing in the winter months, general road maintenance and major construction projects in the non-winter months. Monitoring traffic safety is a major concern. Some of the other areas of responsibilities are encroachments for utility installations, approach encroachments, road reviews for subdivisions, etc.
Bridge Department: Maintains approximately one hundred (100) bridges and approximately seven hundred (700) culverts, cattle passes and cattle guards. They install and maintain all guardrails. There are several dikes within Flathead County, which they are required to maintain.
County Shop: The shop maintains approximately two hundred and ninety (290) county owned vehicles and pieces of equipment which are operated by Road, Bridge, Shop, Sheriff, Commissioners, Animal Control, Eagle Transit, Health/Sanitation, Juvenile Detention, County Attorney, and the Disaster and Emergency Services Departments. All aspects of vehicle maintenance and repairs are performed.
1249 Willow Glen Drive
Kalispell, MT 59901
P (406) 758-5790
F (406) 758-5794
PUBLIC WORKS DIRECTOR:
April 1 - October 31
Monday - Thursday
6:30 am - 5:00 pm
November 1 - March 31