Select a Proposed Road Name
- Read and understand the Flathead County Road Naming Conventions prior to selecting a road name: Conventions
- Ensure that your name idea(s) are not duplicates, in part or in whole: Unavailable Roads
- Contact the GIS Department (406-758-5540) to ensure the name you have chosen fits the required parameters.
If you are dividing land with existing or proposed roads wholly contained under common ownership and those roads serve or are proposed to serve three or more properties or are 1/4 mile in length or longer, the road(s) should be named on the plat or certificate of survey. In the event continuous roads precede or follow the land being divided and are under different ownership, the “petition process” must be followed.
Petition Process (Voluntary naming of an unnamed road)
1. Using the following form, obtain the original ink signatures of the property owners having access off of the road to be named, having an address assignment on the road to be named, or owning property along the road to be named. This form must be distributed among all eligible voters so everyone has an opportunity to agree with the name idea or offer their own suggestion. If you are unsure who along the road would be considered an eligible voter, please contact the GIS Department for a list. Petition Form (.pdf format)
2. Return the original ink form(s) to the GIS Department. Upon approval, notifcation of the new road name and new address assignments will be sent to each petitioner. Flathead County will install the road name sign(s).
Ballot Process (Involuntary naming)
1. As the County identifies roads to be named/renamed, ballots will be mailed to property owners having access off of the road to be named, having an address assignment on the road to be named, or owning property along the road to be named. Ballots must be returned by the stated 30-day deadline and be of approvable name in order to be counted.
2. The ballots will be tabulated and the proposed (valid) name receiving the most votes will be chosen. Upon approval, notification of the new road name and new address assignments will be sent to each affected party. Flathead County will install a road name sign.